This week I was hoping to make another attempt at recovering Sylvie’s seat. However, when I opened the bike shed I immediately decided it was time to clear out the shed again instead as I’d let too much stuff gather in the doorway!
I also noticed the pegboard ws looking a bit bare, so I set about sorting the mess out.
Most of the spanners had accumulated at the entrance on top of a parts box along with an assortment of other tools, sprays and old parts.
The sprays went onto the spray can shelf.
The grease and o-rings went back on the shelf below.
The assorted washers and velcro cable ties went on the shelf below.
The cap went back on the Inox can.
I have a space for spare wheels that had a gap in it.
The spare CBF250 wheel hadn’t made it back there, so I rectified the situation.
The wheel had been sitting on some scrap cardboard, so that was relocated too.
The box for my grandfather’s large socket set had lost almost all its contents.
I spread the corrugated cardboard over Scarlet’s seat and tank and transferred loose tools and parts onto it to keep them at waist height.
Returning to the socket set, I flipped the plastic tray back up the right way and referred to the diagram on the lid to start replacing its contents.
The long socket wrench was on top of the tool pile, so it was returned to its rightful place.
Next, the spanners were transferred to the cardboard and sorted.
After sorting, the spanners were returned to the pegboard and neatened up.
I started sorting the larger sockets next.
These nwer sockets aren’t part of the old set and are usually hung on the pegboard by their tags.
These older sockets were returned to the set though!
I could almost see the parts box by this stage, so I became more motivated!
The small spark plug socket found its way home too.
The smaller socket originally came from several sets.
This thick rubber glove had been separated from its mate, so it was moved aside too.
The next layer of parts was 2 old CBF250 chains, so I set these aside with the old sprockets
I scooped up the smaller sockets and random other items and tools and found that quite a lot of the random items were not bike-related.
The larger sockets with tags were returned to the pegboard.
The pile of tools got steadily larger as the random items were set aside and moe sockets joined the pile.
Meanwhile, the top of the parts box came gradually into view.
A couple of the tools were from onboard toolkits, so they were set aside.
The zip-lock bag was used to keep the tools together temporarily until the full toolkit was in all in one place again.
A few more pieces made their way back to the socket set.
Finally the top of the parts box was free!
I removed some of the rags from inside it and sealed the lid properly.
I moved it out of the door way to the back of the shed and put the old chains and some of the rags on top of it.
Finally the entrance of the shed was less cluttered!
I looked more closely at the remaining items in the doorway.
Amongst these items were another small socket set and a can of electrical contact cleaner.
The contact cleaner went on the shelf with the other sprays.
The socket set went with the smaller sockets and some parts were returned to it.
The non-slip matting I had intended to make a seat cover from this week was left with the remaining tools.
I found a spare CB250RS clutch plate set on the floor too, so that was set aside with the tools for the next stage of clean-up.
The staple gun was left with the non-slip matting to remind me to work on Sylvie’s seat. next time I look in the shed.
Scarlet’s rear tyre was looking somewhat worse for wear, so that will need attention soon too,
Looking for a few more small items to clean up, I found two of my JIS drivers and several other screwdrivers on the end of the workbench.
The JIS drivers an spare Philips head screwdrives went in the bottom drawer of the toolkit,
The yellow-handled Philips screwdriver went back to its place
Finally I cleaned out the clutter from the top section of the toolbox and closed it up
Now that the entrance to the bike shed is less cluttered, I’ll hopefully be able to get on with working on bikes again!
While I didn’t make any progress on any of the bikes this week, I’ve found plenty to keep me busy as a result of the clean-up!
That’s all for this week. Once I’ve cleaned up a bit more, I’ll have another go at re-covering Sylvie’s seat, take a look at Scarlet’s rear wheel and keep investigating the electrical gremlins with Erica and Scarlet.