I got a parcel last week, far earlier than expected.
Inside the outer bag was a tough bag.
Inside the tough bag were the new chain and sprockets I had ordered from the UK only a few days earlier!
I checked the spare rear wheel I had for Sylvie and found the tyre was more worn than the one I was thinking of swapping it with!
I gathered every tool and spare part I though I would need and got ready to remove the chain, rear wheel and right chain tensioner. From the left, spanners in 24mm, 17mm, 14mm and 12mm sizes, a spare chain tensioner, small socket wrench with an extension bar, 10mm and 8mm sockets, small and medium standard screwdrivers, new Ognibene o-ring chain, new AFAM front and rear sprockets in standard sizes for the CBF250, WD 40, Inox, lithium grease, my new chain tool and Vernier calipers.
I started by loosening the rear axle nut.
The 24mm spanner was used on the axle nut.
The 17mm spanner was used to hold the bolt end of the axle.
After slacking off the axle nut, I unlocked the steering and straightened the handlebar.
I then put Sylvie in neutral and raised her onto the centre stand.
Next I used the 14mm and 12mm spanners to loosen the chain tensioners.
I turned the rear wheel until the master link was visible and prised off the clip with the medium screwdriver.
I took the faceplate off and pulled the link out from the back.
I gave the old chain a cursory clean to inspect the overall damage.
After cleaning off the worst of the grime, the chain seemed to be in relatively good condition apart from the obvious wear near the ends where the broken master link had been.
I cleaned the outside of the front chain cover with Inox lanolin spray as it is kinder to plastic than WD 40
Next I removed the cover with the 8mm socket and extension bar.
I put the cover aside with its bolts and the mounting bracket under it.
I put Sylvie back into first gear and cleaned up the front sprocket and the outside of the transmission with more Inox spray.
I switched over to the 10mm socket.
I then removed the front sprocket mounting bolts and rotated the retaining plate to to get it past the splines on the drive shaft.
After removing the sprocket I cleaned up the rest of engine casing outside the transmission.
The old front sprocket had a fair amount of wear.
I unwrapped the new sprocket for a comparison before fitting it.
Fitting was of course a reverse of the removal process.
While replacing the mounting bolts, I realised I’d forgotten an important tool when laying out all the tools before starting.
This was of course the small torque wrench.
I set the torque to the specifications from the manual and tightened the bolts.
I set about removing the rear wheel.
With everything loosened, I realised I had forgotten to remove the nut for the rear brake lever. The right chain tensioner had some badly stripped thread too.
I screwed the nut back onto the connecting rod for the brake pedal so I wouldn’t lose the spring.
I removed the rear brake assembly from the wheel and inspected the shoes for wear before placing the wheel on a soft rag with the sprocket facing up.
I realised at this point that i had forgotten another important tool – A large socket wrench, extension bar and 17mm socket.
I loosened and removed the nuts in a star pattern, then removed the rear sprocket.
The wear on the rear sprocket wasn’t as bad.
As with the front sprocket, I unwrapped the new rear sprocket for a direct comparison before fitting it.
I removed the right chain tensioner from the swingarm.
Here it is with its replacement below.
I decided to clean up the rear brake lever connecting rod while the wheel was off.
While I was at it, I cleaned up the right side of the swingarm.
Here’s a closer look at that stripped thread. Pretty nasty!
The replacement part ready to grease.
I coated the replacement with a good layer of lithium grease on both sides.
It slid in easily and held itself in place quite nicely.
By this stage it was getting close to dinner time, so I sped things up a bit.
Returning to the rear wheel, I realised I had forgotten yet another tool – my large torque wrench!
I fitted the sprocket, then set the torque wrench to the specified torque and fastened the nuts in the same star pattern I’d loosened them in.
I quickly cleaned up the rear axle bolt.
I cleaned the left side of the swingarm, reassembled the rear wheel and moved it into place.
I cleaned and re-greased the left chain adjuster and slid it back in.
I greased up the rear axle bolt liberally.
I realised I’d almost forgotten to reconnect the rear brake lever rod.
After sorting out the rear brake, I pushed the axle bolt through.
Finally, I replaced the bracket for the wear indicator and moved the bike under cover again.
At this point I called it a night and went to buy something for dinner.
I got the chain fitted the next day, but I will cover that in next week’s post!.