On Friday lunchtime, I visited the local bike wreckers again and left with a set of replacement mirrors, a spare left indicator and a seat in a reasonable state of repair.
I fitted the seat and right mirror immediately and noticed a considerable improvement in how she rode. If she has a personality, it seems to have improved dramatically since she has been registered and got some attention.
On Saturday I removed her damaged and mismatched right fairing.
the damage wasn’t that major,so I’ll give it the same repair treatment I gave the other fairing panels when I have time.
The replacement right mirror mount needs a good clean to remove the writing the wrecker left on it and possibly a bit of a touch-up on the paint.
The mirror itself is fine, although also in need of a good clean.
The left mirror mount is in much better condition than the old one.
The mirror housing is a bit more scratched, so I may end up putting the original one back on.
Although it looks repaired, the original right mid-fairing is definitely in better condition than the matte black one!
While it has a few small tears in the pillion section, the replacement seat is also a definite improvement! I’ll probably re-use the strap from the original one once I can get the screws out that are holding it on. I broke one screwdriver bit attempting to remove it before I realised the threads on the screws holding it on seem to have been deliberately crushed at a certain point – possibly at the factory to prevent them from unscrewing from vibration.
All up, she seems to look a bit happier.
The left indicator is still yet to be replaced, I ran out of weekend so it can wait!
In between removing Nix’ right mid-fairing and waiting for the J-B Weld to set on the original, I worked on Scarlet.
First I fitted her new battery and swapped the right side of the toolbox with the one I bought for Eric, as this one has a lid.
While it’s authentic for Scarlet’s year of manufacture I’ll probably replace it with Bruiser’s eventually, as that one can be latched and opened with a motorcycle key or screwdriver.
Despite the mounting bolts being round and devoid of screwdriver slots, I managed to remove the broken helmet holder lock from Scarlet and replace it with the one from Bruiser. This meant that both of the locks fitted to her now unlock with the same key I use for her ignition switch.
I had been bothered by the amount of rust on her handlebars for a while, as well as the mismatched handgrips after replacing the throttle assembly.
I swapped them with Eric’s but forgot to get a photo during daylight, so took one tonight instead.
Since all three of the locks fitted on Scarlet now matched, I decided to try my luck with fitting Bruiser’s steering lock, as Scarlet didn’t have one at all when I got her. After quite a bit of WD40 and cleaning out of the lock mechanism with fine wire, I discovered that Bruiser’s steering lock didn’t have a broken piece of key in it after all, just a lot of dirt and grit. I managed to clean the mechanism up enough so that it worked with after applying a little “elbow grease” to the key.
Since this will be the final lock unless I replace the seat cowl, I tested it after fitting.
Left is locked, right is unlocked again.
All up, not a bad weekend’s work – Nix and Scarlet now only have one major and one minor issue each.
Nix still appears to be slowly leaking either fuel or oil (relatively minor) and the rear shock needs adjusting or replacing (fairly major in terms of comfort).
Scarlet’s right front indicator still doesn’t work (relatively minor) and she’s still running too rich to idle without stalling (fairly major).
I went to ALDI this evening and found a special on Brasso and Silvo, so I grabbed a bottle of each. Once I get the problems above sorted, I’ll get onto de-rusting and polishing any bare metal or chrome I can find!