This week, I turned my attention to Erica again at last.
I remembered the box of parts I’d been given contained a spare set of headlight mounting nuts.
In order to fit them I of course needed to remove the retaining screws from the bottom of the headlight rim.
I removed the headlight and unscrewed the temporary bolt from the left side of the headlight (the right side when facing the bike)
As I used 13mm hex head bolts and nuts to replace the missing original bolts, I had to switch spanners from the normal 12mm or 14mm sizes normally found on Japanese bikes to remove the temporary washer and nut.
I fitted the mounting nut on the right side and moved onto the left side.
I added the temporary nut and washer to the pile of spare parts.
I fitted the left side mounting nut. I’ll need to solder another wire to this one at some stage to replace the one that was cut off.
While working on the headlight mounts, I noticed the right front indicator wire had a bare solder joint, so I removed the indicator.
I decided I’d also replace the indicator mounting post, as the spare indicators came with those too.
I loosely attached the replacement indicator and plugged in the wire.
I removed the indicator from the mounting post in order to fit the post before reattaching it firmly.
I noticed the indicator lens had some scratches on it, so I found the least scratched one from the spares.
I mounted the spare lens and screwed it down tight.
I put the old indicator on the post and left it with the spares.
Erica’s starting to look quite smart from the front now. Hopefully the changes to the electrical system help sort out some of the gremlins!
That’s all for this week. I’ll charge her battery again and see if it’s made any difference soon.