This week, I decided it was well past time Scarlet got started again, so I filled up a fuel can and topped up her tank.
After this, I cranked the kickstarter a few times. She still starts, but there’s a definite flooding problem with her carburetor…
…so I added a carburetor rebuild to the list of tasks for Scarlet.
Having bent it into a close approximation of the right shape, I decided to have another go at fitting Sylvie’s replacement handlebar.
Although the shape isn’t perfect, it’s not too bad…
Definitely looks better than the old one!
While giving attention to the handlebar, I remembered that the indicators have been a bit intermittent. I decided to have a look at the left switch block.
A good blast of this should help!
I gave the switch a good treating with the cleaning spray and made sure to move it into all positions.
After the spray had evaporated, I tested the indicators and they seemed a bit better. I then turned on the heated grips for a few minutes.
While waiting for the grips to warm up, I removed the left bar end weight.
With the left grip heated, I was able to twist it loose from the J B Weld with a bit of effort.
Rather than risk breaking the throttle cylinder by twisting the right grip, I opted to remove the right side controls all at once.
Off came the bar end weight, then I unscrewed the right switch block, split it and slid it as far along the handlebar as it would go.
I unscrewed the mounting bolts from the front master brake cylinder and right mirror and returned to the left side.
The left mirror and control box for the heated grips were next.
Unscrewed the bolts and off they came!
I removed the left switch block next.
Looks like a dead spider in there! That can’t have been good for the switch mechanism?
There’s a bit of corrosion in there that should be cleaned out when I have more time.
I had to remove the choke cable from its collar to get the switch block off.
I kept all the loose parts nearby so they could be found for reassembly.
The caps over the handlebar mounting bolts came off next.
The J B Weld came off the chromed handlebar without too much effort, so the choke lever collar came off next.
I removed the rest of the caps.
These are only chromed plastic, so I’ll order a new set.
Off came the handlebar mounts.
The old handlebar just before removal.
With the mounts off, I maneuvered the handlebar out of its remaining cable ties.
Replacement handlebar above the old one for comparison.
Installation was a reversal of the removal process.
I fitted the bar ends and took a break for dinner.
After dinner, I went out and mixed up some J B Weld to hold the left grip steady on the handlebar.
My stepdaughter wanted to help, so I got her to hold the heated grip. She was very interested in how it went onto the handlebar!
I only applied a thin coat of JB Weld to the handlebar this time.
After we put the grip on, my stepdaughter want to climb on the bike!
I got her to hold the bar end weight in place while I screwed it on.
As the bike was on the main stand, I let her sit on it again and told her how to start it this time. She really got a kick out of that!
After my little helper had gone inside, I re-fitted the protective caps.
Finally I turned the heated grips on for a few minutes to help start the curing process of the J B Weld.
After riding today, the replacement bar has made a big difference.
That’s all until next week!