Last week, I fitted my spare CDI to Eric but hadn’t had a chance to try starting him.
This week, I started Scarlet but wasn’t able to get her to run long enough to idle properly. I decided to try Eric and found he started more reliably but needed the idle speed adjusted again, so the replacement CDI did the trick.
While stating Scarlet, I noticed that the front footpeg was a bit loose and something seemed to be missing.
I checked Eric and confirmed he had a stopper plate that was missing from Scarlet, which explained the loose spring for the rear brake light switch!
I checked the contents of both my spares boxes and didn’t find one in amongst all the other parts!
So I decided to check Bruiser, Sure enough, his was still there.
Unfortunately, Bruiser was underneath the workbench I’ve left Rosie’s parts on (more on that in another post)
Rosie’s tank has also been taking up valuable shed floor space.
So I moved Rosie out of the shed.
The tank followed Rosie out of the shed.
There was still a fair bit on and in front of the workbench.
Having come this far, I decided to move everything else out of the way. Out came the dead heater, broken shelf, the lid for the the fibreglass parts box and oneof the few parts i still have from Nix – her original seat!
Looking better, I can see Bruiser’s front end properly now!
There was still a lot of stuff on the bench though!
A fair bit in front of the bench too…
Fortunately, I had a portable clothes hanger/shelf that some of that could go on…
Clearing a few things off the workbench…
Finally clear of most of the extra stuff that’s not part of Rosie!
I moved the whole top of the workbench out parts and all, as I’d laid them out in a specific order when dismantling Rosie.
With the top of the bench removed, I just needed to remove one cross-piece…
…and the bench frame could be lifted out over Bruiser.
Now Bruiser was free at last!
The bench frame went on top of the bench top with Rosie’s parts.
I moved Bruiser in to the middle of the shed and took a closer look at the stopper plate.
I moved the workbench in front of the garden shed until it was ready to go back in the bike shed.
It occurred to me that this would be the perfect opportunity to rearrange the bikes so I could start swapping Eric’s engine onto Bruiser’s frame, so I moved Bruiser out of the shed too.
I’d noticed some damage to the shed floor while moving everything, so I had a look under the rubber floor mat while the shed was mostly empty.
The thin sheet of particle board I’d covered up this corner with had completely disintegrated, so I removed the remnants of it and placed a scrap piece of Craftwood over the damaged section of floor, then re-covered it with the rubber mat.
After a break for lunch during the hottest part of a summer Sunday, I spent some time rearranging the carport, put Rosie with the other bikes, and then put her cover on.
Back in the shed, I found a place for almost everything after a fair bit of rearranging!
All that was missing was Eric and Bruiser, so I moved them back in and called it a day.
The next step will be swapping Eric’s motor into Bruiser’s frame and transferring most of Eric’s other parts to Bruiser before attempting to free the stuck piston in Bruiser’s engine.
Time to consult the manuals and double-check the engine removal and refitting process!