Last week, my new fuel tap arrived!
While it fits perfectly, I didn’t fit the tank just yet, as I want to repaint it first.
I’ve also decided on a name for the resulting bike after the parts transplant.
As it contains parts from Eric and from Bruiser, I decided to smash the names together and came up with a few possibilities:
ERI-SER, BRU-RIC and ER-SER were all briefly considered before thought of ERIC-ER, as the bike’s working parts are more Eric than Bruiser.
This quickly became Erica, because the gender of inanimate objects is completely arbitrary anyway!
Heres a video of Erica’s first start after the surgery
After running Erica for a while, I decided to swap out the rear duck-tail fairing.
The original seat from Bruiser with the blue duck-tail fairing
Scarlet’s original duck-tail on Eric’s old seat.
I removed the very dodgy self-tapping wood screws I’d only ever intended to use temporarily on Eric’s seat
Bruiser’s old seat still had the original mounting screws, so off came the duck-tail.
Onto the better seat and a close-up of the mounting screws.
A couple of vanity shots of Erica with the black tank still fitted until the blue one is repainted.
With the obligatory full shots of Erica out of the way, I stacked the spare mudguard and duck-tail fairing next to the very dented spare tank.
I decided the seat could go with them.
Looking at the frame, I decided there was still too much on it, so I set about stripping it down completely.
The ignition coil and High Tension lead were the first candidates.
The mounting posts shared with and the mounting plate for the Regulator/Rectifier were next.
The wiring loom and rear brake light switch followed soon after.
The gear shift lever and mounting pin came next.
At this point, I decided to start bagging things up and labelling them to prevent further damage and in case I decide to part them out.
I moved on to the wiring clips.
The kickstand seemed like the next logical step…
…until I realised I needed to take the mounting bracket for the footpeg off to remove it!
With suitable persuasion I was able to convince it, however!
I also removed the swingarm axle in the process, though.
Naturally, I removed the rear shocks and swingarm next.
I replaced the axle in the swingarm so I wouldn’t lose any of the parts.
I noticed the rear brake stay bar was attached with a split pin and bolt at the swingarm end as well, so I removed it and put the bolt back through for safekeeping.
The cylinder head mounting plate and cable clip were next.
The right footpeg and bracket came off fairly easily.
I’m glad I was able to remove the final mounting bolt by hand, as I don’t have an allen wrench this big! It was about 8 mm.
The horn and throttle cable guide came off the front of the frame.
By this stage, I had just the front forks and main stand left to remove.
As I don’t yet own a 30 mm spanner or socket, the main stand was next to come off.
The spring came off very easily without a wheel in the way.
The split pin was easy to remove with a pair of pliers.
The stand itself wasn’t quite so easily removed from the frame!
I got it eventually though.
With the stand removed, I picked up the remainder of the frame.
I found a suitable space for it and put the wheels away behind it
I cleaned up the main stand and its spring with some degreaser and they came up pretty well!
Finally, I started Erica and rode her up the ramp into the shed before stuffing the parts box full and locking up the shed.