I Helped A Stuck Rider (And Had Another Shed Cleanup).

This evening I had to make a stop for fuel right after work, as I’d hit the reserve level on the way to work.

After getting most of the way home, I saw a rider stopped on the side of the road. I pulled over and asked if he was ok. He thanked me for stopping, and let me know he’d run out of fuel and his reserve wasn’t working for some reason.

He lived not far from my home and asked if I could give him a lift near his house so he could organise to come back for his bike. I agreed, and was just reorganising my luggage to make room  for a pillion passenger when he let me know his reserve was working again and he’d got the bike started.

He asked if I’d mind riding behind him to the nearest petrol station to make sure he got there without further issues. I agreed, of course!

He waved me on just before the last set of lights before the petrol station and yelled out one more “Thank you!” as I passed and turned off towards my suburb.

No photo or video unfortunately, as I stopped using the GoPro on my daily commutes a couple of months ago!

Earlier this week, I’d realised the shed was getting cluttered again, so it was time for a cleanup!

I started with the stray spanners, hex keys and and gloves on Erica’s seat.

The stray cardboard was next.

The spanners should have been here.

I put Erica’s battery on to charge, so I can start her again later and have another look at the electrical system. I needed somewhere to put the air tools and old brake lever, too.

The remnants of flat-pack shelves were getting in the way too.

I left a fair bit of clutter behind after soda-blasting and even had trimmer line I’d left on the floor.

All a bit of a shambles, really…

Not to mention the random cardboard with recently-replaced parts somewhere under it!

There was a bit of a gap on the shelf that needed filling, so the cowl I’d used as test piece for blasting went back there.

The new air hose and tyre gauge fit nicely over the pole on these shelves.

A few spanners went back in the right places on the peg board.

A layer of soda dust was wiped off Erica’s seat.

Sylvie’s old headlight was rescued from the cardboard.

The CBF250 headlight was boxed and the air tools were stacked under the blackboard. The spare dented CB50RS tank will be sand or soda blasted another day, so I decided to get it off the floor while I was at it.

Tucked away neatly on the shelf again.

 

The older ones were cleared from under the trickle charger and Scarlet’s seat cleared of soda dust.

Sylvie’s old side panels and bar ends were retrieved from under the cardboard.

I bagged and tagged the bar ends.

The side panels and bar ends found a home under the workbench, near boxes containing similar parts.

The old brake lever went in the box with the headlight under the chalkboard.

The air tools were stacked more neatly and the warped veneer panels that once were the back of a shelf were put under the boxes to flatten them again.

Stray cardboard was removed and the floor was finally visible again!

The sand blaster spec sheet and troubleshooting guide were put somewhere they’ll be found again.

Almost lost under here was the mounting pin that broke off one of Sylvie’s side panels.

I made room for the blasting gun on the peg board.

The mounting pin was left near the side panels so as not to go astray again.

The tub of blasting sand found a home on a shelf.

And some random parts were left on the clipboard for visibility. THe top one is either a fairing mount left behind from Nix or a random mounting washer from one a CB250RS headlight bracket or instrument cluster.

The tags from the replacement side panels went on top of the old ones to remind me to re-tag them.

All in all, the she is slightly more organised than it was when I started!

Advertisements

Sylvie’s New Headlight And Bar Ends, A Then And Now Comparison, And A New Front Tyre At Last!

This week, I had parcels arrive with parts for Sylvie.

The first was a replacement headlight.

The second one was a set of bar end weights.

So these parts were of course installed this week.

I started with the bar ends. While the left one didn’t seem too bad, the right one had definitely seen better days.

 

Off they came. I put them with the replacements for comparison and to decide which two of the three better ones I would ultimately use.

I ended up using both replacement bar ends with one of the original screws (the two rightmost ones in the picture),

Looking pretty snazzy!

Next I moved on to the headlight. The original one was somewhat worse for wear, having developed a cloudy patch in the polycarbonate lens.

I removed only the headlight unit and put it beside the replacement for comparative purposes.

I noticed that while the replacement headlight did have a dented rim, the original was slightly dented in roughly the same place and also had a large scratch on the outside of the rim. I decided to straighten the replacement one as well as I could and just use it anyway.

I popped the replacement headlight into place and screwed it on with the screws that came with it.

Finally, I decided it was time to do a comparison between what Sylvie looked like when I got her almost a year ago and now, so I put her in the same place the original shots were taken and took photos from similar angles. Looking at them, it’s hard to believe it’s the same bike in some shots!

From the right side.

From the left side.

Front-on view.

Rider’s viewpoint.

Rear view (number plate in current shot obscured for privacy).

 

Closer front view.

 

I added and ticked off a few more things on Sylvie’s list.

Finally, I had a new front tyre fitted this morning, so I rode extremely carefully from the mechanic’s workshop to work!

Here’s the tyre just before being changed and after riding to work.

And of course the list has one more update.

Next week, I’ll either try the valve clearances or start work on the other bikes again!