A New Tank Pad For Sylvie

This week, I set about removing the old tank pad from Sylvie to replace it.

The old tank pad had become quite brittle and was hard to remove, so I used the hard plastic blade of an old fan as a scraper.

 

I also used some heavy duty textured wipes to clean off the glue and remainder of the sticker.under the brittle clear layer.

 

It was slow going but I finally managed to clean off all traces of the old tank pad off.

   

I gave the tank a final wipe over and let it dry

 

Finally, I applied the new tank pad.

     

While the new tank pad looks very similar to the one it replaced, I’m hoping it’d better quality and that it lasts a little longer than the old one did!

That’s all for this week. Next week, I hope to return to working on either Rosie or Scarlet.

Advertisements

A Cheap Tankpad, A Front Brake Bleed, And A Blat Down the Highway

With the only work Sylvie needs now being primarily cosmetic (despite my plans to do more with her long-term) I decided it was time to invest in a tank protector.

Budget being a little tight, I ordered a cheap tankpad.

20170122_153146

I cleaned the tank with “metho” (methylated spirits) prior to application.

20170122_153241 20170122_153221  20170122_153207

After placing it in position, I removed the protective plastic film.

20170122_153450 20170122_153511

Looking swish! 

20170122_153605 20170122_153536

20170122_153525

While riding, I’d noticed that although the front brake was nice and responsive, the brake fluid looked both a bit low and a bit stale.

20170122_154332

Checking the cap, I confirmed that replacement brake fluid needs to meet DOT4 standard and was reminded to clean the cap before removal.

20170122_154154  

Fortunately, I had some DOT4 brake fluid already.

20170122_154547 20170122_154556

I found my trusty magnetic brake bleeding kit in the shed.

20170122_154622

Onto the disc you go!

20170122_154733

Of course the hose has to connect somewhere. I popped the dust cover off the brake bleeding nipple

20170122_154802 20170122_154808

Connected the hose from the bleeding kit…

20170122_154937

20170122_154931 

And it was time to remove the master cylinder cover.

20170122_155700 20170122_155714

I put the cover aside with its screws.

20170122_155834 20170122_155842

Bled out all the old fluid…

20170122_160109 20170122_155847

Topped it up with fresh fluid and put the inner cover on…

20170122_155916 20170122_160911

Then screwed down the lid.

20170122_160921 20170122_160950

Much better!

20170122_161031 20170122_160830   

After topping upthe brake fluid, I of course needed to test the front brake.

So I put my tailbag on Sylvie…

20170122_164459 20170122_164540

Put a couple of bottles of water in the tailbag, filled up her tank and and went for a quick blat about down the highway to Murrumbateman and back again.

20170122_174053 20170122_174117

All in all, not a bad Sunday afternoon!

P.S. – The cheap tankpad really was cheap! This is what it looks like just over 100km of riding later:

20170123_191001

Oh well, better a cheap tank pad getting scratched up like that than the tank. That’s what they’re for, after all!

I Am Jack’s Replacement Tank

When we last saw Jack, he looked like this:

2013-07-23 08.49.47 2013-07-23 08.50.06

After replacing the mirrors, adding the missing grab rail and fitting heated handgrips, he looks a bit better these days.

2014-05-28 19.27.30

It was still bothering me that he’s been beaten up in the past, as these won’t exactly polish out!

2014-05-28 19.27.49 2014-05-28 19.27.41

So last week, I ordered a replacement tank and left tank fairing from a wrecker in Sydney I’ve used before. After some minor issues with their choice of courier, it was waiting to be installed.

2014-05-28 19.31.04

As I was running low on fuel today anyway, I figured it was as good a time as any to swap it over.

Off with the seat!

2014-05-28 19.33.04

The top of the air box is missing – I have one on its way from a genuine parts dealer in Europe. Once that arrives I’ll probably replace the air filter too.

2014-05-28 19.33.20

Off with the side panels and existing tank fairings!

2014-05-28 19.55.22

One mounting bolt holding the old tank:

2014-05-28 19.57.42

A last look at the old tank and the tank pad design that inspired Jack’s name.
I’ll miss this guy, despite the pad itself being a cheapo replacement for the original.

2014-05-28 19.57.51

Once the tank was off, it was a simple matter of unplugging the fuel gauge sensor and unscrewing the joining flange nut for the fuel tap.

2014-05-28 19.58.51

Plugged the new tank in and connected the fuel tap, and popped it on.
The new tank came with a decent tank pad, so I’ve retired the pirate until it needs replacing again.

2014-05-28 20.03.25

Looking a lot better!
While this tank does have a few minor scratches, they can be polished out.

2014-05-28 20.25.32

Not pictured here is draining the few hundred millilitres of fuel left in the old tank directly into the replacement, as I needed both hands and didn’t want to hold my phone that close to open fuel tanks to take photos anyway!

After cleaning off the white paint marker with alcohol and orange oil, he’s looking pretty flash:

2014-05-28 20.55.10

Finally, I took the car down to the local servo, filled up a 5 litre fuel can and topped up the tank so I can get him to and from work for the rest of the week. Must remember to turn the fuel tap on in the morning!