Because I’ve been using the heated grips a lot more now that the frosts have started and have a fairly short ride to and from work, I decided to fit some wiring to allow a trickle charger to be connected in order to prevent a flat battery recurring in the dead of winter.
The trickle charger had a connector on the charge cable where the clamps connect.
I found a jumper cable that uses the same style of connector at my local electronics store.
I cut the cable in half, as I might be able to use the other connector later.
I stripped the ends of the wires and crimped the connectors on.
I took Sylvie’s seat off and found one of the reasons I’ve had trouble getting the clips that hold the sides on in the right place when putting the seat back on.
I trimmed a little triangle out of the top layer of padding.
I took the left side panel off to get to the battery.
Once the side panel was off, I attached the new cable.
The side panel went back on and there was hardly a trace of the mod.
I connected the trickle charger and the expected lights came on before I plugged it in, indicating both that the polarity of the cables was right and that there was still some charge in the the battery.
I also made a day trip to Sydney to pick up some CB250RS parts and a spare swingarm for Sylvie that a friend from the 2fiftycc.com forums I’ve traded parts with before had brought with him while he was visiting Sydney for other reasons.
The swingarm came with the wheel mounts and chain adjuster plates
This rack was custom-made to fit the a CB250RS, so hopefully I’ll get one of them road-ready again over the winter and I can use it!
The parts included a full set of original indicators, a brand new inner tube still in the box, a mirror, several 50 master chain links and an assortment of brackets and clamps, including the original headlight mounting nuts, which will be very useful for restoring the original electrical connections on Erica’s headlight!
That’s all for this week. Hopefully I’ll have some new brake pads for Sylvie soon!