This week, I started transferring the switches and controls across to the now-empty handlebars on what used to be Bruiser.
Here are the nearly bare handlebars before I started:
And the switches and controls I am transferring across:
First up, I removed the instrument cluster/clock assembly (ignition switch, instrument lights, speedo and tacho) and put it aside.
Next I removed the choke cable from the carburetor.
With the choke assembly off, I removed the clutch cable and left switch block connectors.
Removed the clutch lever and left switch block from Eric’s old handlebar and installed on the other one.
Fitted the clutch cable at both ends.
Time to remove the throttle cables.
Disconnected the right switch block cables and removed the throttle and right switch block assembly.
The switch block was held on with a single screw that has seen better days. I swapped the screws out from the spare and replaced them with the damaged screw when re-fitting them on the other handlebar.
Slowly building up the controls on the recipient frame, while more and more of Eric is going in the spare parts box.
The carburetor was next to come out.
The left grip had always looked a little out of place. I have another throttle assembly with a matching one in the spares box if I remember correctly though.
The left end of Eric’s handlebar is totally bare now!
To get the brake line out, I had to remove the front badge plate.
Removed the handlebar clamps next, as the headlight/indicator mount is held down by the handlebar.
I decided to remove Eric’s handlebar altogether.
I left the indicators on the headlight mount for now, although I’ll probably dismantle them and give the exposed surfaces a good clean with electrical contact cleaner before reassembly.
The front mounting plate needed to come off the forks before the brake line culd be removed.
While I had access to it, I removed the steering lock.
I tested the lock with the ignition key to make sure it still worked and that it was definitely a match.
Onto the complete frame it went!
I removed the master brake cylinder and Eric’s handlebar was free at last.
I put it with on the shelf next to the seat and spare red tank.
I finished removing the brake line.
Then I replaced the banjo bolt in the front brake assembly.
I fitted the mounting bracket to the front forks on the complete frame, making sure the brake line and wiring loom had been passed through it during assembly.
Connected the brake line to the front brake assembly, ready to bleed fresh fluid through.
I tightened up the handlebar mounts again and called it a day.
Reassembly will continue this week, Hopefully the right side muffler will arrive soon too!