How Not To Remove A Flywheel

Just a quick update this week, as I had other things to fix unrelated to my hobbies.

This week, I decided to try my luck with the flywheel puller and removing the flywheel from Rosie.

I started by making sure the thread on the puller was well greased.

Unfortunately it didn’t help, as the puller just wouldn’t thread properly in the stripped thread.

I did succeed in stripping the thread on the puller, however.

Next week, I’ll be working on Sylvie and maybe Erica or Scarlet, time permitting.

Advertisements

Returning to Rosie – In Which I Chase A Dropped Part And Break A Socket

With Sylvie both not in need of immediate attention and generally running well, I finally spent some time working on Rosie this week.

What type of bike is Rosie, new readers may ask?

Rosie is a KLR650 I started a top-end rebuild on some time ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as careful not to drop any parts back then and I managed to lose a part down the cam chain cavity, so she’s been half-disassembled for several years.

The parts had been moved from one bench to another and had gathered a layer of stuff on top.

The first step was of course relocating said layer of stuff.

Rosie’s original fairings have faded to a rosy pink from the factory red, which led to her name.

One of the front side fairings has been replaced by a previous owner so the decals seen on the other one are missing completely.

I’d decided to take the side cover of the motor to retrieve the lost part some time ago but had never finsihed, so I resumed the process this week.

The cables attached to the stator ran behind the front chain guard.

After a quick reference pic, off it came!

 

I’ll give it a bit of a clean before putting it back on.

I rested the stator cover on the footpeg and the brake lever.

I carefully removed the outer gears and bearings.

  

 

The part that had fallen down looked to be stuck behind the rotor, so I set about preparing to remove the rotor.

The centre mounting bolt was quite tight.

It took a fair bit of convincing but I was eventually able to loosen it.

While the bolt seemed undamaged from the removal effort…

…I can’t say the same for the first socket I used on it!

 

I realised I would need a flywheel puller, so I repurposed the inner bolt from my old chain tool that had a damaged thread.

The thread on the end had been damaged by a misplaced spring when using it but a few minutes on the bench grinder took the burrs off.

It fit very well in the hole for the mounting bolt.Eventually I realised the flywheel puller needed to go in the outer thread though!

Fortunately I remembered that I had bought a suitable flywheel puller some time ago and had never used it!

This one had an M22 thread, which is the exact size I should have needed.

Unfortunately, I found was that someone had stripped the thread inside the rotor when it was removed at some stage in the past!

That’s all for now, until I figure out how to remove the flywheel without a puller!

I’ll have a look at what can be done on the other bikes if I can’t find a solution in time for next week’s update…