This week, I replaced Khaleesi’s rear wheel now that her owner has organised a thinner profile rear tyre.
The first step was replacing the sprocket carrier with the new sprocket on it
I was trying to prevent the disc still from scraping on the brake mount but hadn’t taken enough photos at the right steps of wheel removal, so I wasn’t entirely sure how the spacers and washers had been fitted previously.
I decided to try the spacer and its matching washer together at first.
I fitted them on the inside of the brake mount
I applied some fresh grease to the axle
The rear wheel was originally from a KR1S, so I had some trouble fitting the spacers and washers in the right order.
After swapping the spacers and washers around quite a few times, I got to a point where I was satisfied that the disc was scraping as little as was possible on the brake mount and moved on to the chain.
I removed the clip master link and put it aside.
I was having a lot of trouble getting the chain onto the front sprocket, as it seemed to be getting wedged against the engine. I realised this was because I had mounted it with the flat side toward the engine! After removing it and flipping it over, I no longer had the problem and the chain fit nicely.
I measured the length the chain needed reducing by fitting it without connecting the ends and moving the chain tensioners to the lowest point.
At first it seemed to need 13 links removed. As motorcycle chain links are in pairs, they can’t easily be shortened by single links.
I pushed the rear wheel hub as far forward as it would go and found that the 120-link chain needed 7 pairs of links cut out, for a total reduction of 14 links.
With all the trouble I had replacing the rear wheel, I took it off again just to check there was a bearing on the brake disc side. There was, so I think the KR1S spacer missing from the axle might be needed to fit it properly.
I removed the extra links rom the chain with my chain breaking tool after grinding the end of the pins with a carbide wheel on my rotary tool.
I lined up the chain on the rear sprocket and fitted the master link and o-rings.
I put the cover plate on, then clamped it with my chain tool.
With the slots on the pins clear of of the cover plate, I fitted the clip with the split end at the bottom so as to be at the opposite end of the clip to the direction of travel.
I adjusted the chain tensioners and fitted a split pin through the castle nut and the hole in the axle.
I bent the ends of the split pin back around the castle nut.
I had some spare rubber glue, so I glued on the loose LED strip indicator.
I found that Khaleesi already had a connector cabled to the battery that fitted my trickle charger, so I sprayed it with some electrical contact cleaner and hooked up the trickle charger.
That’s all for this week – hopefully I’ll finish the remaining work on Khaleesi in time for next week’s update!