Fred Builds Shed – Part 3 – Floor Finished, Gazebo Gone, Shed Secured!

(Part 3 of Fred Builds Shed. Read Part 1 here and Part 2 here.)

Last instalment, I had found a suitable place for the shed – on top of the floor under the gazebo!

wpid-received_bwvzc2fnzv9ibg9ix2f0dgfjag1lbnq6mtaxntm3njizmtgzmzm2oty.jpeg

I had a water-damaged floor to repair and slight extension of the space to organise.

wpid-received_bwvzc2fnzv9ibg9ix2f0dgfjag1lbnq6mtaxntm3njizmjgymjg2oty.jpeg

After a trip to the hardware store, I moved Rosie onto the lawn and set about removing the water-damaged particle board.

11100319_10152670085687260_1603979703_n

A shovel made short work of it, so I put some support pieces under the weakest part.

11178441_10152670085997260_1562117354_n 11160362_10152670086612260_2097996985_n

I added some extra supports, then fitted a large piece of MDF and some smaller pine boards.

11178489_10152670086677260_1728565037_n 11178425_10152670086997260_2139154030_n

11119330_10152670087027260_131003749_n 11156945_10152670087162260_916945657_n

A bit of sanding with an improvised floor sander before sweeping off the sawdust and it was ready for painting.

11117520_10152670087142260_490452056_n

The floor was painted with  black non-slip paint and left to dry overnight.

The next morning, I started assembling the shed panels. Having disassembled the shed made reassembly pretty easy, as I knew which parts helped hold the structure together.

11178674_10152670088127260_1174814037_n 11180061_10152670088067260_293973437_n

The front door section was first.

11180225_10152670088202260_1083551832_n

Next up was the back wall.

11101760_10152667194842260_415261755_n 11178579_10152667194372260_120530723_n

With the front and rear assembled, the rest came together quite nicely.

I had to attack a wild gazebo due to strong winds, as it kept pushing the shed off the raised floor. Here’s the skinned carcass:

FB_IMG_1429491671680

The larger “bones”

wpid-received_bwvzc2fnzv9ibg9ix2f0dgfjag1lbnq6mtaxntm3nzqzntcynzm2oty.jpeg

And finally a collection of smaller “bones”  – screws and brackets – on top of my trusty toolkit inside the nearly completed shed.

wpid-received_bwvzc2fnzv9ibg9ix2f0dgfjag1lbnq6mtaxntm3nzqznja0otg2oty.jpeg

While I needed a break after three days of disassembly, floor repair, painting and construction, I figured it needed a bike in it to be called a bike shed, so Rosie was moved in and a photo taken.

20150420_172305

A fresh new padlock on the doors and I finally had a reasonably secure bike shed!

20150420_165916

All that remained at this point was to tidy up the yard, make sure I had room to store bike parts, access to power and finally to move bikes back out of the carport.

I was taking that break first, though…

(Continued in Part 4…)

Advertisements

Fetching Scarlet, Relocating The Gazebo And Charging Bruiser’s Battery

After Bruiser arrived on Friday night, I got up early and drove 2 hours down the highway to a place called Yanderra to collect my latest acquisition – a red 1980 CB250RS. The weather was great on the way there, so I didn’t bother taking a tarp to cover it with. Halfway back it started raining and I returned to Canberra with a rather wet bike, who I decided on the way back shall be named Scarlet.

2014-06-28 14.07.41

She seems to be missing a few parts but the seat is very good condition and she has the front half of both mufflers. She even turns over, although I haven’t tried to start her yet. Apparently the previous owner had her running a few years ago.

All the wind and rain here lately has meant the my temporary bike shelter in the form of a kit gazebo has been somewhat bent out of shape. Rather than taking pictures of a sad-looking gazebo, I decided to relocate it to a slightly less windy spot and build a floor. After crab-walking the gazebo sideways, much shovelling of dirt, shuffling of bikes, laying of pallets and parts of an old wardrobe, hammering of nails and re-shuffling bikes, I’m pretty pleased with the end result.

2014-06-29 15.19.28

From the left, we have Bruiser, Eric, Scarlet and Nix.

Despite starting Nix to make her easier to move I couldn’t let the weekend go by without tinkering with at least one of the bikes, so I decided to top up Bruiser’s battery and see if it will charge.

2014-06-29 18.16.29

My trickle charger showed the battery as already charged as soon as I turned it on – this is typical behaviour for this charger for a completely drained battery, however.

2014-06-29 18.16.49

I put the bolts and caps from Bruiser’s battery in a plastic bag to stop them getting lost.

2014-06-29 18.22.05

Looking at the  battery box, it seems he’s had a somewhat hard life.

2014-06-29 18.17.09

The side panel covering it hasn’t fared much better.

2014-06-29 18.17.38

This crack may not look too bad from the outside but it appears that no expense was spared repairing it!

2014-06-29 18.17.28

His seat and tank have definitely seen better days too!

2014-06-29 18.20.56

Bruiser’s engine doesn’t turn over with the kick-starter, so he is primarily going to be a parts bike – he was bought from a scrap metal dealer so I wasn’t expecting to get him running.

On the plus side, all the specialised mounting bolts and nuts that were missing from Eric are there, he has fully intact instruments, all lights, both mufflers and a full set of matching locks, all of which work apart from the steering lock. More on that later.

As it was cold and wet, I packed up for the day. Hopefully the gazebo will remain upright and this week will have better weather!