After dismantling and cleaning Sylvie’s carburetor in the last post, I needed to reassemble it!
First I installed the pilot jet, needle jet seat and idle screw.
Next I fitted the main jet
I opted to set the idle screw between the stock setting of quarter turns back and the 3 turns back it had previously been set at, So I set it to 2.5 turns back from full tension.
I then installed the float valve and float.
Then came the float and float retaining pin.
I checked the float height with vernier calipers and confirmed it seemed to be within specifications. I coated the float bowl o-ring with some rubber grease and turned it upside-down to provide a convex surface towards the body of the carburetor as I didn’t have a replacement o-ring
I refitted the float bowl. When replacing the float bowl drain plug, I noticed the or-ing had perished. I replaced the perished o-ring with a small section of fuel hose as a temporary solution.
It seems to fit quite well.
Next cam the air cut-off valve. I coated the diaphragm with a thin layer of rubber grease
I replaced the spring, held the cover down firmly and replaced the screws.
Next cam the throttle cable bracket.
The needle holder tube was next. I replaced the needle, retaining spring and clip.
Once again I covered the diaphragm with a thin layer of rubber grease before carefully replacing the needle holder tube.
I replaced the spring and pushed it down gently but firmly.
When replacing the top cover on the carburetor, I made sure to replace the cable guides in the same corners they were on originally.
I reinstalled the heater and reconnected its cable
I fitted the cable clip and replaced the cable to its original position.
I refitted the top hoses, then started reconnecting the other hoses.
At this point, my fiancee observed that the carburetor looked like a mechanical heart. I told her that this was a pretty accurate comparison considering the function a carburetor performs.
I was having trouble getting all the hoses to connect properly, so I compared the lengths of the hoses on Sylvie’s carb with the example pictures in the service manual. First, I switched the top hoses around to a position where they fitted better.
On inspecting the rest of the hose, I found that some sections were considerably shorter.
I took them apart to replace them with longer hoses and found the joint I hadn’t replaced was clogged with dirt! This probably explains the weird flooding issue I had after replacing the broken joint and reconnecting the loose hoses
After replacing the short sections with fresh pieces of fuel/air hose, I had a much better looking carburetor!
The idle adjuster knob was next to go on. Next was refitting the reassembled carb!
After replacing panels, Sylvie was back together at last!
I jump-started her from the my car’s battery, let her warm up and adjusted the idle speed. As the stock setting is 1400 rpm +/- 100, I set it to 1500 rpm according to the on-board tacho.
I took her for a ride and enjoyed her improved responsiveness!
I took a video of the first ride after the carb rebuild but haven’t had time to upload it yet. I’ll try to get it up in time for next week’s post.
After the successful ride, I ticked off another item on Sylvie’s to-do list and took a well-earned break.
I’ve had a new rear tyre fitted on Sylvie since the carb rebuild – more on that next week!