So on Wednesday night I went a little overboard with swapping bits & pieces around between Bruiser, Eric & Scarlet.
I started with the tank mount – of the three bikes, only Bruiser had one.
I looked at Scarlet and decided it should be fitted on her tank.
Removed the mounting bolt and rubber from Bruiser easily enough.
Fitting it on Scarlet was straightforward enough..
Next I compared the instrument clusters
Here’s the one Scarlet came with. It says Honda on the back but it’s not from the right model.
Bruiser’s was in the best condition overall,
And here’s the one I bought for Eric originally. I liked the fact that some of the writing was still visible on this one.
So naturally I decided to take everything apart and see what could be swapped around. As I’d hoped, the covers for the lights were removable and could be swapped.
Since I’d already removed the ignition switches, the switch with matching locks from Bruiser went into back into the instrument cluster to be mounted on Scarlet.
Next I removed the headlight housing from Scarlet, so I could get to the headlight mounting bracket.
There were some extra holes drilled in the mounting bracket for the instrument cluster, so I decided to swap it with Eric’s.
This meant removing the handlebars.
Eric’s mounting bracket was in much better shape, so off it came!
I compared all four handlebar mounting brackets and all eight mounting screws, then selected the best ones to put back on Scarlet.
While looking at the wiring for the headlights and instrument cluster on Scarlet, I found an adaptor cable that looked a bit odd.
After removing it, I realised that it was from the odd instrument cluster
It went with the collection of parts from that cluster. On further inspection, I found that the back of this instrument cluster was marked “Honda CB400T”.
I’d already removed Bruiser’s headlight to remove his instrument cluster, so I decided to remove the headlight cover and compare with the one on the spare headlight and the one from Scarlet.
I noticed the one from Scarlet looked a bit odd compared with the other ones. A close look at the back told me exactly why – it was from a Suzuki!
The better of the two Honda ones was put aside to mount on Scarlet.
As I’d half-dismantled the headlights by this point, I checked the chrome outer rings on them.
For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to completely dismantle the headlights and swap the chrome outer rings over instead of just using the better headlight.
I did end up with one headlight that was significantly less rusty than the other, so I guess it was worth it!
I mounted the rebuilt instrument cluster on Scarlet and swapped the tank strap over to match the ignition switch.
My phone battery was too flat to keep taking photos by this point.
I ended up installing Scarlet’s front indicators and headlight, swapping the left switch/clutch lever assembly with Bruiser’s as it was the only one that had the correct wiring for the headlight, finding it was missing the clutch switch, breaking another clutch switch trying to remove it from the original switch assembly, dismantling the bottom half of the broken switch assembly and rebuilding it into the third one and finding that Scarlet’s wiring loom seems to be missing at least one bullet connector so the lights still don’t work.
Scarlet’s almost a complete bike now though, more on that tomorrow!