I haven’t posted any updates on Scarlet in a while for personal reasons. This doesn’t mean I’ve done nothing with her in the last 12 months, however!
Although I haven’t written about it previously, I have replaced the head gasket, adjusted the valve clearances, replaced the regulator/rectifier with a brand new aftermarket one and replaced the clutch friction plates and finally filled her up with fresh oil..
I also took my usual amount of photos as I went along, so these will be added in future posts.
Last weekend I decided to try starting Scarlet again, since she hasn’t been run for over a year.
I had to open the cover to Eric’s tool compartment, as the top of it was blocking the battery.
Scarlet’s looking great but the battery that was in her didn’t seem to be working.
I pulled the battery out to see if it was the problem.
This is not a healthy-looking battery!
Swapped out for the one that I know works well enough to start Eric.
Off with the seat to check wiring connections.
Nothing obviously wrong here, so off came the tank to check further along the wiring loom.
Fuel tap to the OFF position
Disconnect the fuel line…
Pop off the left side cover…
And finally remove the tank!
Here’s the aftermarket regulator/rectifier. I’m not sure if it could be the source of the electrical problems.
Also looks like this clip has seen better days!
I reconnected the original reg/rec temporarily to see if there was any improvement. No change to the lack of neutral light, even after several kicks of the starter.
I figured I may as well at least replace the cable clip, so I grabbed the spare one from Bruiser.
It looked a little thirsty, so a squirt of Inox was applied and the residue wiped off with a rage.
I gave her a bit more of a polish with Inox and found the summer heat was getting a little too intense, so I put her back together and called it a day.
I’ll need to spend some time checking over the electrical troubleshooting section and wiring diagram again. I have some ideas on where to start, so will test my theories before next week’s update.