After setting up the mats, I took a couple of days break and decided I’d wheel Erica out into the sun to test the threshold ramp. It certainly made getting the bike out easier!
I decided to take a couple of full-view progress shots.
After trying unsuccessfully to kick-start Erica, I thought the leaking fuel tap in reserve position might be related, so I set about draining the black tank.
While draining the tank, I removed the seat in preparation for swapping the tank over.
I put the glovebox cover back on the rear cowl so I knew where it was and it wouldn’t get stepped on.
The fuel tank turned out to have about 3 litres of fuel in it.
I put the side panel on to p of the seat, as I didn’t want to risk stepping on it either!
THis side panel still has all 3 mounting pins intact and I’d like to keep them that way if possible.
I unlocked the tank cover and removed the cap to help get the last of the fuel out.
While I was at it, I removed the fuel tank locking strap, as its lock matches the rest on Erica.
The tank was placed over a suitable receptacleand turn upside-down to get the old fuel tap off.
I put the fuel line aside on top of the side panel for safe keeping.
I then examined the old fuel tap. The filter, o-ring and reserve pipe seem to be in reasonable condition so could be re-used.
THe tank was sloshed around until all the fuel that was coming out was out.
Tee frame was looking a bit bare, especially with only one tank mounting rubber.
I figured I may as well put the blue tank on Erica to get used to it. Although it has no visible dents, it’s sorely in need of repainting! Compared with the fuel cap from the black tank, this one has also lost a lot of its paint…
I unlocked the fuel cap cover and removed the fuel cap. The interior of the tank seemed to be in pretty good shape.
I removed the locking strap in preparation for fitting the original one again.
I compared the bases of the fuel caps from both tanks. The black one seems to be in better shape.
After a short break to photograph the blackboard lists for the Hondas (more on that in the last post) I dug out the aftermarket fuel tap. While there are a few differences from the leaking genuine one, it still has the right overall style and will do the job at least until the bike is running again!
I fitted the lid and locking cap from the black tank to keep the locks matching.
The thread for the tap was nice and clean already.
On went the aftermarket tap.
The fuel line was replaced next.
I pulled out the box of assorted CB250RS spares.
I found the grommets for the tank mounting pins.
I re-fitted the grommets to both sides
Popped the tank on.
I put the worn fuel cap on the black tank to go with the spares.
I put a small piece of rag inside the replacement fuel tank to make sure the fuel going in from the old tank was as clean as possible.
After pouring in the fuel from the drain pan, I found very little in the way of visible contaminants.
I replaced the rag and repeated the process for the fuel in the fuel can. This fuel had almost no visible contaminants.
I removed the mounting grommets from the black tank.
To make sure they last as long as possible, I applied rubber grease to restore some of their elasticity
Once wiped off, I put them aside in the ziplock back I’d originally stored the grommets from the blue tank in.
I fitted the leftover tank strap on the the black tank and put the tank away with the other larger spare CB250RS parts.
I noticed some discolouration of the front mudguard and rubbed my hand over it without thinking. Looking down, I saw shrivelled-up blue paint flecks on the ground and realised I’d just rubbed off some paint that brake fluid had dripped onto from the leaking master brake cylinder. I’ll have to rebuild or replace that master brake cylinder bore repainting!
After all that, I didn’t manage to get Erica to start after all. I’ll have to have a look into the electrical issues and maybe try another battery.
In the next post, I finally make some progress on the seized spare CB250RS motor at long last!