This week, I started with removing the rear wheel from the donor bike and salvaging the sprocket from it.
The sprocket and the wheel it came from…
And the sprocket after cleaning up with degreaser.
Next was the rear wheel from the “recipient” bike
This sprocket looked a lot worse for wear.
Almost like a saw blade compared to the donor one!
One of the bolts from this wheel had a 13 mm nut on it. I cleaned all 12 mounting bolts and nuts up with some degreaser and picked the best-looking ones
While the wheel isn’t in the best shape, I figured I can put a new tyre and new sprocket on it ready for when the bike needs a new chain. I put the better sprocket on the wheel as it had the better tyre before taking a short break for lunch.
After lunch, I compared my three front sprockets. I opted to use the right-most one as it had the least wear.
I cleaned up the primary drive shaft before fitting the sprocket.
The sprocket and the locking plate in place, fixed in place with the mounting bolts.
I opted to re-use the spare chain for now, after a liberal coating of “rust buster” spray.
Adjusted the chain tension, tightened the axle nut and fitted a split pin.
I popped the side panels in place and re-fitted the front mudguard.
I removed the front brake caliper from the “donor” bike and placed it in my bench vice to have another crack at loosening the stiff screw on the rear cover.
It chose not to cooperate, so I brought in the heavies – a small sledgehammer and traditional impact driver of the style from the days before they were all motorised. The recalcitrant screw soon saw the error of its ways!
Getting back to the chain, I realised the rear chain guard was a bit warped, so I retrieved the one from the “donor” bike and gave it a once-over with Inox.
Fitted and looking good!
The lower front chain guard was next. I fitted the plastic one too but I must have been getting tired by this stage, as I seem to have forgotten to take a photo of that step!
The helmet holder that matches the ignition, fuel and steering locks went on next, but was only fitted loosely as I’ll probably switch all the locks with Scarlet’s later.
Finally, I cut a fresh length of fuel hose to replace the piece that had been broken off prior to the parts transplant.
I haven’t started the bike again yet, I’m saving that for next week!