As predicted, the mornings were much colder over the last week. I found that while the grips were quite secure when turned off, the contact cement melted whenever they were turned on, creating a safety issue as the grips then rotated freely around the handlebars!
I decided a better method of attaching them was needed, so I did a bit of research and found that other riders had reported success with both high temperature gasket sealant and J B Weld. I decided to go with J B Weld, as I have used it for fairing repairs in the past and had some already on hand.
On Friday morning, I managed to drop Sylvie while making a u-turn on the way to work. I overshot the corner and got the front wheel caught in a ditch next to the road!
Luckily, I wasn’t badly hurt, and there was no damage from the drop apart from the right mirror and master brake cylinder needing to be twisted back in place. Unfortunately, I didn;t catch any of this on the GoPro, as it ran out of space and stopped shortly after I left that morning.
I’m not sure if the melted glue contributed to overshooting the corner. Needless to say, this made me even more determined to make sure the grips were properly attached!
I turned the grips on for a few minutes first to heat them up.
I took off the bar end weights and they slid right off! The handlebar under the left grip was totally clean, while the right one had a few burnt pieces of contact cement left on the throttle tube under it. I stuck them all together to clean up the throttle cylinder.
I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the heated grips and the throttle tube with methylated spirits.
I found the J B Weld and some scrap cardboard to mix it on.
I gave the left end of the handlebar a good coating.
I put a little J B Weld inside the left grip for good measure
Then I coated the throttle tube with J B Weld too.I left a space at the end to allow for it to spread when the grip was fitted.
I ended up getting some JB Weld inside the throttle tube, so I dismantled the right switch block so I could clean it off before it set.
Then I put the bar ends back on and left the J B Weld to set for several hours.
While I was waiting, I started dismantling the spare CB250RS motor.
I found a spare sump plug and fitted a temporary washer with an o-ring, as I didn’t have any aluminium crush washers.
I started by removing the rocker covers.
Next I removed the tacho drive
Then I loosened the cylinder head cover bolts.
After removing the cylinder head cover, I removed the remaining mounting bolt for the cam chain tensioner and used a nail to lock the tabs in place. I realised at this stage that I needed a cam chain breaker before I could continue dismantling as I can’t turn the engine over to turn the cam in order remove the second mounting bolt on the cam sprocket.
I covered the top of the cylinder head with a soft cloth to keep it relatively clean until I have the right tools to continue.
I checked the heated grips the next day and found a zip tie I had forgotten to cut when I first installed them.
I cleaned out some excess J B Weld and applied some rubber grease inside the throttle housing, as the throttle had been sticking a bit. It was much smoother after that, and snapped back quicker when released than it ever had before!
Unfortunately, I was a bit rough with the heated grip when cleaning out the J B Weld, so I cracked an internal structural component on the throttle side grip and it’s a bit crooked now. I tested the heated grips and thankfully it doesn’t seem to have had any impact on their operation as they both seem to work correctly.
I’m still waiting for the replacement mirrors to arrive, and I’ve sent a message to the eBay seller. It seems they’ve disappeared between being sent by the UK Royal Mail and arriving here in Australia, and Royal Mail doesn’t provide any tracking on economy packages. I’m taking the seller up on their offer of a refund. I’ll order another set with tracked shipping later – probably from a different seller though!