Sylvie Gets Heated Up – Transferring Heated Grips From Rosie

As I’m in Australia, winter is almost here. The traditional date after which it becomes acceptable to turn on heaters in Canberra is Anzac Day – April 25th. This is also the last week of the second month of our autumn/fall season in Australia.

With the cold weather approaching, I decided Rosie’s heated grips would be more useful on Sylvie.

I decided this week that it was time to transfer them over while it’s still mild enough to work in the carport in the evenings.

With the “bark buster” hand guards installed on Rosie the first step was to remove them, so I started with the left one.

 

With the hand guards removed, it was surprisingly easy to remove the heated grip.

I repeated the same process on the right side.

The grip was once again fairly easy to remove.

Next I traced the power cable back to the battery. The positive wire has a small fuse box on it.

 

The negative wire was a little harder to spot.

 

Power cable removed.

The last part was the control box. With all the other cables removed it came off easily.

With the heated grips ready to install, I needed to remove Sylvie’s original grips. Having removed the left one before, all I needed after removing the bar end weights was a little dishwashing detergent and a lot of effort!

The right grip was a little trickier but dishwashing detergent and effort did the trick again.

I fitted the heated grips and discovered that they moved freely.

After a brief search in the shed, I found some old rubber contact cement.

I applied some to the throttle tube and handlebar.

I found that a far more liberal coating was required and changed the position of the left grip  so it wouldn’t obstruct any switches.

I changed the position of the right grip to match the left one when the throttle is not in use.

I fitted the control box the the clutch mounting bracket. I covered the exposed parts of the metal mounting bracket with black electrical tape so it blended in better with the clutch mounting bracket.

While waiting for the glue to dry, I put a spare pair of grips on Rosie.

I reinstalled the handguards too.

I put the original grips from Rosie in a ziplock bag to go with the other CBF250 spare parts.

 

I removed the seat and tank to feed the power cable through.

I connected the power cable to the battery and tidied up the cabling, but forgot to take photos. I gave the grips a quick test and found they turn off automatically if the engine isn’t running. I started Sylvie and tested them and they seemed to work properly, but being late at night I didn’t want to run the engine for too long.

Finally, I packed up everything back in the shed and updated Sylvie’s to-do list.

Hopefully the mirrors will arrive soon so I can fit them.

If they don’t arrive this week, I’ll either be attempting to unseize the piston in the spare CB250RS engine or trying to figure out what’s causing the electrical problems on Erica and Rosie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.