November’s New Acquisition – Fred’s Fizzer 400

Back in November, I had decided I wasn’t buying any more bikes until I had a shed to work on them in.

I was kidding myself, of course!

Through a thread on my favourite motorcycle forum, I found a 1992 Yamaha FZR400 going cheap. The original pics from the seller showed a bike with half the fairings removed but carefully put aside.

$_57 (2)$_57

Carbon fibre exhaust…

$_57 (1)

Redline zone starts at 14K. This looks somewhat familiar…

$_57 (3)

Tyres look decent and the brakes have been serviced with EBC replacement parts, it seems…

$_57 (4) $_57 (5)

Fairings in reasonable condition…

$_57 (6)

$_57 (7) $_57 (8) $_57 (9) $_57 (10)

A replacement exhaust manifold was thrown in as well for some reason…

$_57 (11)

I contacted the seller and went for a closer look.

After talking with the seller for a while and hearing how much he had enjoyed riding the bike and being filled in on some of its history:

  • The bike had been low-sided at slow speed after the fairings were removed as he’d preferred the look of it naked.
  • He’d made a custom insert for the air filter.
  • He had been planning to replace the exhaust manifold with the spare one (from a different model Yamaha 600) to eliminate the EXUP but never got around to it.
  • Battery had been replaced with a sealed one but was flat as the bike hadn’t been ridden in over a year since the registration had expired.
  • He’d removed the rear mudguard, welded up a fender eliminator and fitted mini LED indicators at front and rear.
  • Tyres and brakes had been replaced shortly before the rego expired
  • He was selling to raise cash towards accessories for a brand new Triumph!

I offered him 10% less than his listed price and we had a deal.

There were a couple of logistical issues with getting the bike to my place:

  • The bike wasn’t running or registered and therefore couldn’t be ridden away.
  • The bike wasn’t Learner & Novice Approved even if it had been running and registered.
  • The extra parts would have been difficult to carry on the bike.
  • My car at the time wasn’t set up for towing a trailer.
  • My trailer wasn’t registered.

Luckily, the seller had a bike trailer and was keen to make room in the garage as he was expecting delivery of his new Triumph the next day, so he delivered it to me!

The mandatory “just bought it” photo:

20141119_214819

The next day, I hooked up some jumper leads to the car and gave jump starting a go. I took the opportunity to give the electrical system a quick test as well and was most impressed with the result!

Cut to several months later, I now have a day permit organised to take it for a roadworthy check tomorrow – provided the battery charges enough overnight…

More specifics on the repairs to follow!

Advertisements

Cleaning Rusted Chrome, A New Speedo For Scarlet And Regulator/Rectifier Woes

Back in October, I did a fair bit of work on Scarlet.

One afternoon, I decided to polish the mufflers.After spending most of the day polishing with NEV’R DULL and aluminium foil, this was the result.

20141011_171405 20141011_171430

There’s still a bit of a way to go on that…

The same month, I managed to track down a genuine NOS (New Old Stock) replacement speedometer for Scarlet. As you may recall, I had partially repaired the speedo twice already and it seemed to get stuck quite regularly.

20141025_095718

The parcel in which the speedo arrived was well-packed to prevent damage. Inside I found the original box, containing a speedometer with 600 metres on the odometer.

20141020_234207 20141020_234235 20141020_234301

The first order of business was to remove the old speedo.

After removing the ignition switch, I took out the mounting screws from the rear of the instrument panel.

20141025_100000 20141025_100129

Here are the two speedos side by side for comparison. Guess which one is the new one!

20141025_100237

Shortly after the photo above was taken, I dropped the old speedo and broke its face.

20141025_100412

Not to worry, I still had the new one!

20141025_100418

I fitted the new speedo into the instrument panel and replaced the front cover.20141025_100740

Ignition switch back on the back!

20141025_100855

Here it is mounted and ready to use.

20141025_101147

Just in case I need a speedo for Eric or Bruiser, I glued the old one back together.

20141025_103400

Later in October, I received what I thought was a simple plug-in aftermarket regulator/rectifier for Scarlet.

First up, I removed the old one.

20141029_18260820141029_18271220141029_182755

The new regulator/rectifier looked pretty much like the old one at first.

20141029_18215720141029_182827

The seller had listed it as being a direct replacement for several models of older Hondas, including the CB250RS. Unfortunately, on closer inspection I found that the connections were completely different and one wire was missing completely!

20141029_183056

The old one went back on for now. I’m still looking for a suitable replacement or NOS regulator/rectifier. The lesson learnt here is to ALWAYS check what the old or missing part should look like before ordering a replacement.