I finally managed to track down the plastic frames to hold the air filter in, along with the filter itself and the sealing screws I didn’t know were missing in the form of a rather battered airbox from the local bike wrecker.
I also managed to get hold of a set of mounting screws for the luggage hooks I bought for her a while ago.
I finally got the chance to install them on the Saturday before the gazebo disaster struck.
Firstly, the seat and rear grab handle needed to come off.
Next were the rear “duck tail” fairings
I tried installing the luggage hooks first to test out the screws.
After realising that the rear fairings weren’t going to go back on over the luggage hooks, I took them off. I already suspected that the air filter frames weren’t getting in the airbox without disassembly, so I started to dismantle the rear sub-frame in order to remove the airbox.
Standard first step is to disconnect the battery.
Next I unbolted the coolant overflow bottle, noting that it was pretty much empty.
After removing the battery, the rear sub-frame needed to be unbolted to get the airbox out.
At this point I noticed something fairly important was already missing!
There should be a hex-drive or “Allen” bolt where that hole is. It seems the previous one had fallen out after I put the airbox in last time.
I dismantled the rear sub-frame in much the same way as previously shown, pulled out the airbox, put the frames and air filter from the battered one in and put everything back together. Unfortunately I was in too much of a hurry to take photos of the process, as I was losing the light by this stage!
After screwing the luggage hooks in I realised I hadn’t taken many pictures and got a couple of the final result.
Then I got a picture of Nix from her “good” side.
After a short week week last week due to shoulder pain putting me out of action for two days, I was keen to get the missing bolt replaced.
On my way home from work on Tuesday, I discovered the left side indicators weren’t working at all! As it was cold, wet and dark, I rode her home extremely carefully and checked the wiring yesterday morning before leaving for work. While I was looking at indicators, I replaced the left front one as I’d been given an advisory to replace it when she had her rego inspection. As I was getting ready for work, I once again forgot to take photos!
A hectic work schedule prevented me from managing to pick up a replacement frame bolt until today, so I installed it tonight.
Finally, I got a shot of Nix from her “less good” side.
The last few things Nix needs will be adjusting the rear monoshock, replacing the missing “glove compartment” cover along with any missing bolts and finally giving her a good clean and polish!