This week, I stripped Scarlet’s carb to prepare for a rebuild.
Here’s the carb kit I’ll be using this time – although it’s designed for an XL250S, they had almost the same motor and also used a Keihin PD carburetor.
I used a wire basket over a clean oil pan in case I needed to drain out fuel. Considering the float bowl has been draining out all its fuel, this proved to be overkill.
First I removed the drain screw. I stuck it into a piece of scrap cardboard to make sure it didn’t roll away.
The wire basket proved very effective at holding the carb steady for disassembly, so I turned the carb over and removed the diaphragm cover.
Care was needed when removing it, as there was a spring under pressure between the cover and the diaphragm.
With the spring out, I removed the diaphragm, the attached post and its rubber boot.
The float bowl was next to come off.
I pushed out the float retaining pin with a small screwdriver and carefully removed the float and float valve.
I removed the float valve and inspected the flot bowl o-rings for obvious signs of wear.
I moved on to removing the jets and fittings.
I’ll compare the jet size and condition with the ones supplied in the kit after cleaning.
Moving to the top of the carburetor, I realised the idle adjuster knob had to come off.
The mounting bracket for it was next.
The top cover was next to come off.
THe gasket still seems to be in pretty good condition.
The top cover itself is still pretty clean too.
The throttle assembly needed the lever removed before the mounting screw could be removed.
So the lever, spring washer and nut came off.
The mounting screw was removed.
It was followed in short order by the throttle spindle and its spring and washer.
With the throttle spindle removed, the throttle linkage was easy to remove.
The throttle slide and needle were disconnected from the throttle linkage arm.
The rest of the throttle linkage was removed from the throttle slide and the needle jet removed
The needle jet was stamped 77A. I’ll compare this with the one supplied in the kit.
Next, I removed the blanking plate from the side of the carb.
I checked the o-ring for obvious signs of wear.
OVerall, this carb still seemed to be in pretty good condition since it was last rebuilt.
Having run out of shed time for the week, I labelled a couple of zip-lock bags appropriately.
I put the carb parts in the zip-lock bags so they don’t go missing before i have a chance to clean them and finish reassembly.
Next week, I’ll clean all parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and with compressed air before comparing them with any supplied in the carb kit before starting on reassembly.
I have some plans for more frequent video updates once I have two roadworthy and registered bikes, as I’ll be less hesitant to do work on Sylvie that might take her off the road.
I also have a few other projects going right now, so may start a separate blog for those.
More details on both of these topics will be provided in a future update.